    Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 02:33:27PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
    >
    > I'm hoping that I can get a few comments on this code. It was
    > added to (significantly) speed up things like 'ifconfig -a' when
    > running with 4000 or so VLAN devices. It should also help other
    > instances with lots of (virtual) devices, like FrameRelay, ATM,
    > and possibly virtual IP interfaces. It probably won't help
    > 'normal' users much, and in it's final form, should probably be a
    > selectable option in the config process.
    >
    > Virtual IP interfaces in the form of ifname:<number> (e.g. eth:1) IMO
    > should be deprecated and removed completely in 2.5.x. It's an ugly
    > external wart that should be removed.

    I don't know enough to have any serious opinion about virtual IP
    interfaces, but I am very certain that VLANs should appear as
    an interface to external code/user-land, just as eth0 does.

    This hashing helps with VLANs, and since I aim to get VLANs into
    the kernel proper sooner or later, having this piece in there
    makes my patch a little smaller :)

    However, if folks look at the patch and hate it, then it can
    be left out, or changed appropriately.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com) http://www.candelatech.com
    Author of ScryMUD: scry.wanfear.com 4444 (Released under GPL)