jamal wrote:

> > What problem does this fix?
> >
> > If you are mucking with the ifindex, you may be affecting many places
> > in the rest of the kernel, as well as user-space programs which use
> > ifindex to bind to raw devices.
>
> I am talking about 2.5 possibilities now that 2.4 is out. I think
> "parasitic/virtual" interfaces is not a issue specific to VLANs.
> VLANs happen to use devices today to solve the problem.
> As pointed by that example no routing daemons are doing aliased
> interfaces (which are also virtual interfaces).
> We need some more general solution.

Something like this also becomes an issue when you want routing
daemons to interact sensibly with IPSEC tunnels. A paper on these
issues is at:

http://www.quintillion.com/fdis/moat/ipsec+routing/

It is not (AFAIK) clear that the FreeS/WAN team will adopt the solutions
suggested there, but it is very clear we need to deal with those issues.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.078 / U:7.052 seconds]