    SubjectRe: The advantage of modules?
    My best reasons are...

    Development: You don't have to recompile the kernel a billion times
    while working on a driver, you just recompile the module. Also, you
    can debug, unload, fix, recompile, reload a module to add or fix
    pieces of it all (hopefully) without rebooting.

    Practical usage: When I take my laptop on the road I use ppp, so I
    load it then. Most of the time I don't need it, so I don't load it.

    Evan Thompson writes:
    > I'd like to know (I know, I'm being slightly off topic, while still
    > staying on topic, so I'm on topic...er...yes) if there is any
    > advantage, be it memory-wise or architectuarally wise, to use modules?
    >
    > I already know the obvious points of if you are creating a distro that
    > it is usually good to make a very modular kernel for those wishing not
    > to recompile their kernel, but I was wondering if there were any other
    > advantages to using modules vs. making a monolithic kernel for a
    > kernel to be used only on one machine (with no other hardware support
    > at all)?
    >
    > Thanks, and sorry if I'm being slightly off topic...
    > Kernels are fun! I wish I could learn more!
    > --

    Drew Bertola | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...