    SubjectRe: Journaling: Surviving or allowing unclean shutdown?
    Date

    sct@redhat.com said:
    > In what way? A root fs readonly mount is usually designed to prevent
    ^^^^^^^
    > the filesystem from being stomped on during the initial boot so that
    > fsck can run without the filesystem being volatile. That's the only
    > reason for the readonly mount: to allow recovery before we enable
    > writes. With ext3, that recovery is done in the kernel, so doing that
    > recovery during mount makes perfect sense even if the user is mounting
    > root readonly.

    Alternative reasons for readonly mount include "my hard drive is dying and
    I don't want _anything_ to write to it because it'll explode".

    You mount it read-only, recover as much as possible from it, and bin it.

    You _don't_ want the fs code to ignore your explicit instructions not to
    write to the medium, and to destroy whatever data were left.

    --
    dwmw2