    SubjectRe: How to Power off with ACPI/APM?
    > Silly question, but have you realized that you don't have to enable
    > SMP in kernel to do multithreading ?

    Lest anyone think me completely clueless, yes, I'm well aware of that. It's
    just that I wanted to have that warm fuzzy feeling the comes from pretending I
    had the cash to buy a dual processor machine when I bought this PC.

    I had planned too, but my laptop died and I needed a new box in a hurry so I had
    to get what I could get. It's a decent motherboard though, for being single
    processor.

    On the other hand, I did identify that you can't power off with smp enabled
    unless (as someone helpfully posted) you give this parameter in lilo or grub:

    apm=power-off

    While the SMP config option says APM doesn't work if you have SMP enabled (so I
    should have known), it would be helpful to mention that you can still power off
    this way.

    Mike
    --
    Michael D. Crawford