SubjectRe: reiserfs patch for 2.4.0-final

On Friday, January 05, 2001 02:54:53 PM -0200 Rik van Riel
<riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

>> > I put all the code into CVS, and Yura is making the official patch now.
>>
>> Since 2.4.0 final should fix a few i/o performance issues
>> (particuarly under heavy write loads), a quick few ext2 vs.
>> reiserfs benchmarks would make very interesting reading ;-)
>
> An easy way to gain a performance edge on ext2 would
> be to do proper write clustering in the reiserfs
> ->writepage() function... </hint>

;-)

The current 2.4 code has lots of room for tuning, since I've been trying to
keep it clean/stable for now (and our dbench numbers show it). The first
optimization is tuning for reiserfs_get_block, I think writepage clustering
will be easier (and more beneficial) if we work out the buffer.c changes
I've been posting.

I also want to change the log block allocation a bit, so the log blocks are
allocated as the transaction progresses, instead of all at the end. I
think that will make us much more VM friendly, and let me get rid of the
inode writing kludges. It'll be a busy weekend ;-)

-chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.067 / U:0.260 seconds]