SubjectRe: [uml-devel] usermode linux hoses 2.2.18-SMP host machine when run from regular user account
brian@ristuccia.com said:
> When run from a normal user account with its current working directory
> on a NFS filesystem, usermode linux causes the host machine's kernel
> to enter a hosed state. No processes (including UML) seem to respond,
> and the machine becomes unusable.

Just to clarify what I think UML is doing that's causing the trouble: it is an
extensive user of mmap. It creates several files (one 16 meg by default, but
possibly much larger) in $PWD, and mmaps them into all of its threads. The
"physical memory" file also has individual pages mapped twice (or more) into
various threads.

I've seen this confuse an old version of reiserfs and NFS, although not so
much that the machine hung. UML would just see stale data, get horribly
confused by it, and crash.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.057 / U:0.600 seconds]