Rusty Russell wrote:
> In message <> you write:
> >

> > A lot of the timer deletion races are hard to fix because of
> > the deadlock problem.
> Hmmm...
> For 2.5, changing the timer interface to disallow mod_timer or
> add_timer (equivalent) on self, and making the timerfn return num
> jiffies to next run (0 = don't rerun) would solve this, right?
> I don't see a maintainable way of solving this otherwise,

It seems silly not to provide direct support for such a simple, useful
mechanism as a periodic timer. This can be accomplished easily by
adding a field 'periodic' to struct timer_list. If 'periodic' is
non-zero then run_timer_list uses it to set the 'expires' field and
re-inserts the timer.

For what it's worth, this is backward compatible with the existing
strategy. The timer_list->function is still in complete control of
things if it wants to be, but forbidding it from re-adding itself sounds
like an awfully good idea.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.084 / U:6.684 seconds]