    Rusty Russell wrote:

    > In message <3A74451F.DA29FD17@uow.edu.au> you write:
    > > http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0005.3/0269.html
    > >
    > > A lot of the timer deletion races are hard to fix because of
    > > the deadlock problem.
    >
    > Hmmm...
    >
    > For 2.5, changing the timer interface to disallow mod_timer or
    > add_timer (equivalent) on self, and making the timerfn return num
    > jiffies to next run (0 = don't rerun) would solve this, right?
    > I don't see a maintainable way of solving this otherwise,

    It seems silly not to provide direct support for such a simple, useful
    mechanism as a periodic timer. This can be accomplished easily by
    adding a field 'periodic' to struct timer_list. If 'periodic' is
    non-zero then run_timer_list uses it to set the 'expires' field and
    re-inserts the timer.

    For what it's worth, this is backward compatible with the existing
    strategy. The timer_list->function is still in complete control of
    things if it wants to be, but forbidding it from re-adding itself sounds
    like an awfully good idea.

    --
    Daniel