    SubjectRe: Multiple SCSI host adapters, naming of attached devices
    Michael Pacey writes:
    > Given two host adapters each with 1 disk of ID 0, how do I tell Linux which
    > is sda and which sdb?

    You can't - you need to make sure either the cards are different and check
    the SCSI host probe order, or the detection order in the PCI bus. You
    should only need to do this once, and simply use the order you get.

    > After this I'll be filling the 2nd SCSI chain completely, so assigning a
    > different ID is not an option.

    If you are using ext2 filesystems, you don't care which is which, because
    you can mount by filesystem UUID or LABEL, so just ignore the device names.
    The same is true with LVM.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:58.136 seconds]