SubjectVIA system timer (problem still in test13-pre7 and prerelease)

Hello.

Some time ago, Vojtech Pavlik sent a message stating that he had found
a critical bug in some VIA chipsets, and suggested a patch.

The bug would "cause X to blank the screen when it should not, squid
to terminate connections with a 'timeout' randomly and other nice
effects."

The problem is still present in test13-pre7 and in prerelease; X
blanks like crazy sometimes here, and applying the patch solves the
problem nicely here. This is a VIA Apollo Pro 133 system
(VIA 693/596B)

Not sure why it didn't go into the main tree, and since there's
prerelease out there, I thought I'd send this message. (Were there
problems with that patch?)

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil