SubjectRe: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)
Thus spake Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au):
> Conclusions:

> For a NIC which cannot do scatter/gather/checksums, the zerocopy
> patch makes no change in throughput in all case.

> For a NIC which can do scatter/gather/checksums, sendfile()
> efficiency is improved by 40% and send() efficiency is decreased by
> 10%. The increase and decrease caused by the zerocopy patch will in
> fact be significantly larger than these two figures, because the
> measurements here include a constant base load caused by the device
> driver.

What is missing here is a good authoritative web ressource that tells
people which NIC to buy.

I have a tulip NIC because a few years ago that apparently was the NIC
of choice. It has good multicast (which is important to me), but AFAIK
it has neither scatter-gather nor hardware checksumming.

Is there such a web page already?
If not, I volunteer to create amd maintain one.

Felix

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.078 / U:6.480 seconds]