SubjectRe: changing mac address of eth alias

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Ben Greear wrote:
> David Weis wrote:
> > what would be required to make the mac address of aliases changable,
> > specifically for something like vrrp that shares a mac address among
> > machines.
>
> Not sure you can do that, but you could use an 802.1Q vlan patch
> and set up two different VLANs. You can now change the MAC
> address on a VLAN with my patch: http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear/vlan.html

I'm looking at your code, in the function
vlan_dev_set_multicast_list() for the 2.4 tree, you enable promiscuity and
reception of all multicast packets. Is this necessary for all cards?

This looks pretty close to what I was looking for, thanks for the
pointer. Do the multicast functions have enough usefulness for things
other than VLAN to be split out separately?

dave

--
Dave Weis "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement
djweis@sjdjweis.com of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent