    SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Sasi Peter wrote:

    > > AIUI, Jeff Merkey was working on loading "userspace" apps into the
    > kernel
    > > to tackle this sort of problem generically. I don't know if he's
    > tried it
    > > with Samba - the forking would probably be a problem...
    > I think, that is not what we need. Once Ingo wrote, that since HTTP
    > serving can also be viewed as a kind of fileserving, it should be
    > possible to create a TUX like module for the same framwork, that serves
    > using the SMB protocol instead of HTTP...

    I must admit I'm a bit sceptical - apart from anything else, Jeff's
    approach allows a bug in the server software to blow the whole OS away,
    instead of just quietly coring! (Or, worse still, trample on some FS
    metadata in RAM... eek!) A TUX module would be a nice idea, although I
    haven't even been able to find a proper TUX web page - Google just gave
    page after page of mailing list archives and discussion about it :-(

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.019 / U:9.664 seconds]