    SubjectRe: [NFS] [CFT] Improved RPC congestion handling for 2.4.0 (and 2.2.18)
    From

    > I got a report which indicates it may not be a good idea,
    > especially for UDP. Suppose you have a lousy LAN or NFS UDP
    > server for whatever reason, some NFS/UDP packets may get lost
    > very easily while a ping request may get through. In that case,
    > the rpc ping may slow down the NFS client over UDP
    > significantly.

    Hi HJ,

    Could you clarify this? Don't forget that we only send the ping after
    a major timeout (usually after 3 or more resends).

    IOW: If the ping gets through, then it'll have cost us 1 RPC request,
    which is hardly a major contribution when talking about timescales of
    the order of 5 seconds which is what that major timeout will have cost
    (Don't forget that RPC timeout values increase geometrically).

    I'm not touting this as a cure for incorrect rsize/wsize settings. I
    use it rather to avoid false 'server is not responding' due to server
    congestion. On the current RPC code, the latter can occur sometimes
    even with a loopback NFS mount when, say, kflushd is busy hogging the
    disk...

    Cheers,
    Trond

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.035 / U:32.700 seconds]