    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0
    On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
    > >Let me just point out that Victor has his own commercial axe to grind in
    > >his continual bad-mouthing of IRIX, the internals of which he knows
    > >nothing about.
    >
    > 1) do you actually disagree with victor ?

    Yes, I most emphatically do disagree with Victor! IRIX is used for
    mission-critical audio applications - recording as well playback - and
    other low-latency applications. The same OS scales to large numbers of
    CPUs. And it has the best desktop interactive response of any OS I've
    used. I will be very happy when Linux is as good in all these areas,
    and I'm working hard to achieve this goal with negligible impact on the
    current Linux "sweet-spot" applications such as web serving.

    > this discussion has the hallmarks of turning into a personal
    > bash-fest, which is really pointless. what is *not* pointless is a
    > considered discussion about the merits of the IRIX "RT" approach over
    > possible approaches that Linux might take which are dissimilar to the
    > IRIX one. on the other hand, as Victor said, a large part of that
    > discussion ultimately comes down to a design style rather than hard
    > factual or logical reasoning.

    I agree. I'm not wedded to any particular design - I just want a
    low-latency Linux by whatever is the best way of achieving that.
    However, I am hearing Victor say that we shouldn't try to make Linux
    itself low-latency, we should just use his so-called "RTLinux" environment
    for low-latency tasks. RTLinux is not Linux, it is a separate
    environment with a separate, limited set of APIs. You can't run XMMS,
    or any other existing Linux audio app in RTLinux. I want a low-latency
    Linux, not just another RTOS living parasitically alongside Linux.

    Nigel Gamble nigel@nrg.org
    Mountain View, CA, USA. http://www.nrg.org/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.059 / U:0.168 seconds]