SubjectRE: Is sendfile all that sexy?
Date

> I'm _not_ seeing the point for a high-performance link to have a generic
> packet buffer.
>
> Linus

Well suppose your RAID controller can take over control of disks
distributed throughout your I/O subsystem. If you assume the bandwidth of
the I/O subsystem is not the limiting factor, there's no need to hang the
disks directly off the RAID controller.

This makes even more sense if your computer can upload code to your
peripherals which they can then run autonomously. Imagine if your filesystem
code is mobile and can reside (perhaps to a variable extent) in your drives
if you want it to.

Of course none of this really relates to the case of the OS trying to get
peripherals to talk to each other directly.

DS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.152 / U:0.492 seconds]