SubjectRe: Chipsets, DVD-RAM, and timeouts....
On Mon, Jan 01 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > for FAT etc when reading. Writing is a bit more difficult, as that
> > then turns out to generate a read before we can commit a dirty
> > block. IMO, this type of thing does not belong in the drivers --
> > we should _never_ receive request for < hard block size.
> Unfortunately someone ripped the support out from 2.2 to do this, then didnt
> fix it. So right now 2.4 is useless to anyone with an M/O drive.

It wasn't deliberately ripped out, it just vanished when Eric started
his SCSI rewrite in 2.3 :-). For 2.5 I would really like the change
mentioned earlier -- make sure that no block drivers should have to
deal with any request for smaller sector sizes than their hw sector
size. For 2.4, I guess I can apply much the same fix for MO as I did
for CD-ROM.

* Jens Axboe <>
* SuSE Labs

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.595 / U:0.276 seconds]