    SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?

    On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > Actually, this is a great example, because at one point I was working
    > on a device interface which would offload all of the disk-disk copying
    > overhead to the disks themselves, and not involve the CPU/RAM at all.

    It's a horrible example.

    device-to-device copies sound like the ultimate thing.

    They suck. They add a lot of complexity and do not work in general. And,
    if your "normal" usage pattern really is to just move the data without
    even looking at it, then you have to ask yourself whether you're doing
    something worthwhile in the first place.

    Not going to happen.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:7.784 seconds]