    SubjectRe: oops in 2.4.1-pre8
    Hi Urban.

    I'm connecting to a Win2K server (same share between computers). A
    slight change in my previous post: my dual P2 w/320MB appears to be
    running 2.4.0-ac9 instead of 2.4.1-pre8. The bigmem machine (1gb mem)
    had the oops on 2.4.0-ac9 but before reporting I thought I'd try
    2.4.1-pre8 and see if it also had the oops. (This morning the small mem
    machine had a problem but I'll put that in a separate email.)

    Earlier I had tried 2.4.0-test12 but it partially scrambled my root
    partition so I went back to 2.2.19-pre2. After the oops I tried 2.4.0
    straight but when it was booting it decided my root partition had been
    umounted not-cleanly and decided it needed to do lots of icky things to
    my root partition. I just rebooted it (without letting it do any
    changes) and went back into 2.4.1-pre8 and let it clean up the root
    partition. So I don't know if 2.4.0 straight would do this (apparently
    it does from other people's reports) since 2.4.0 didn't want to play
    nice on my machine.

    Since I can't do without smbfs I guess I'll have to do without bigmem.
    Please let me know when you're ready to test some fixes; I would be glad
    to help testing.

    --Scott

    Urban Widmark wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Scott A. Sibert wrote:
    >
    >> I'm consistently getting an oops when accessing any smbfs mount whether
    >> running 'ls' inside the smbfs mount or hitting TAB for filename
    >> completion of a directory in an smbfs mount. I have another machine
    >> (dual P2/300 w/320MB memory) that does not have this problem. The P2
    >

    > That other machine is not compiled with bigmem, I assume.
    >

    >> Ethernet is compiled into the kernel as is smbfs (not as modules). I've
    >> compiled this kernel with 4GB bigmem support (otherwise I only get 8xxMB
    >> total).
    >

    > The smbfs cache code in 2.4.0 doesn't work with bigmem. For now disable
    > bigmem or don't use smbfs, it's oopsing all the time.
    >
    > Rainer Mager reported the same thing yesterday ("Oops with 4GB memory
    > setting in 2.4.0 stable" if you want to read the thread).
    >
    > I am currently looking into this ... what kind of server are you
    > connecting to? win2k/NT4/9x? It is easier to test with those than the more
    > exotic OS/2 & NetApp.
    >
    > /Urban

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:13    [W:0.025 / U:1.432 seconds]