SubjectRe: multi-queue scheduler update
On Thursday 18 January 2001 17:33, Mike Kravetz wrote:

> > > isn't the normal case (as in "The Right Case to optimize")
> > > where there are close to zero runnable tasks? what realistic/sane
> > > scenarios have very large numbers of spinning threads? all server
> > > situations I can think of do not. not volanomark -loopback, surely!
> >
> > I think the main point of Mike's patch is decreasing locking and cache
> > line bouncing overhead of multi cpu scheduling, not optimizing lots of
> > runnable tasks.
> >

> > -Andi
>
> Andi is correct. Although the results I posted may seem to indicate
> we are concentrating on high thread counts, this is really secondary
> to reducing lock contention within the scheduler. A co-worker down
> the hall just ran pgbench (a postgresql db) benchmark and saw
> contention on the runqueue lock at 57%. Now, I know nothing about this
> benchmark, but it will be interesting to see what happens after
> applying my patch.

Yep, the patch work in a different way and if these are the numbers it seems
to be interesting.
Could You post results for a fewer number of tasks ?
I mean what is the performance loss for 1,2,..,5 tasks ?

To test You can use lmbench ( I don't remember the link ) and I should have
the program I've used to test my patch somewhere.

- Davide

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.260 / U:0.144 seconds]