SubjectRe: Linux not adhering to BIOS Drive boot order?
> What _would_ be interesting, and still not affect the boot loader proper,
> is to allow specifying multiple boot devices in /etc/lilo.conf (for e.g.
> RAID 1 setups), and then /sbin/lilo would put a boot sector on each such
> drive.

You can already do this, just specify /dev/md0 as the device to install
onto, and lilo does the rest

> This would potentially allow you to boot from the second drive if the
> first one fails, assuming the kernel does UUID or LABEL resolution for
> the root device. The kernel would boot from the first BIOS drive, and
> would match search for a UUID or LABEL as the root device.

I can confirm that this works on RedHat 6.2 + Lilo 0.21 + kernel
2.4.0-test8 and RAID1.

I have a mirrored boot drive in a pair of firewalls / routers and to test
before I put them into service I pulled hda and the machine booted fine
from hdc and baring winging about the missing disk (all the drives are
mirrored) carried on as normal. A fresh disk was put and rebuilt no
problems and was then booted off with the other disk missing.

--
Tim Fletcher - Network manager .~.
/V\ L I N U X

An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.089 / U:0.468 seconds]