    SubjectRe: [Fwd: [Fwd: Is sendfile all that sexy? (fwd)]]
    > The fact that I understand _why_ it is done that way doesn't mean that I
    > don't think it's a hack. It doesn't allow you to sendfile multiple files
    > etc without having nagle boundaries, and the header/trailer stuff really
    > isn't a generic solution.

    Hmm, I would think that nagle would only come into play if those files
    were each less than MSS and there were no intervening application level
    reply/request messages for each. So, perhaps rcp, but not FTP nor HTTP.
    I'm not sure where the break-even point versus send() is on other OSes,
    but it seems to be in the neighborhood of the typical ethernet MSS on
    HP-UX.

    As for the header/trailer stuff, you're right, I should have spec'd a
    separate iovec for each :)

    > Also note how I said that it is the BSD people I _despise_. Not The HP-UX

    That misunderstanding would be the result of my entering the
    conversation in the middle...

    > implementation. The HP-UX one is not pretty, but it works. But I hold open
    > source people to higher standards. They are supposed to be the people who
    > do programming because it's an art-form, not because it's their job.

    I'm not sure, but I think I've just been insulted !-) (in case it is not
    clear, that is meant as a joke...)

    rick jones
    --
    ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
    feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...