SubjectRe: Oops with 4GB memory setting in 2.4.0 stable
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> If there is new dentry, which is at fpos postion, and it is child of
> readdir-ed directory, we should return it anyway, no? There must not be
> two ncpfs dentries with same d_parent and d_fsdata if d_fsdata != 0,
> as each dentry can be in only one directory.
>
> This looked as reasonable limitation to me ;-)

Right. I chose not to read those tests for some reason ... good.

The parent test should be ok. d_fsdata is only set in ncpfs if it is put
in the cache and d_alloc sets it to 0. Works for me (whatever that may be
worth).

Rewriting the smbfs cache code allows for a nice speedup too.

In ncpfs when reading a directory you create dentries and inodes at once.
I assume that when reading the dir list from the server that you get all
the info you need in one go.

I think smbfs gets all needed info on all protocol versions it supports,
so that should be a nice speedup for readdir() + stat()-each file (ls -l).
Currently it only caches name info and then does a remote call for each
entry.

Too bad this is 2.4.0, the biggest problem may be sneaking it past Linus.
oh well ... :)

/Urban

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:1.311 / U:0.008 seconds]