On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Ingo Molnar]
> > - probably the most radical solution is what i suggested, to
> > completely avoid the unique-mapping of file structures to an integer
> > range, and use the address of the file structure (and some cookies)
> > as an identification.
> Careful, these must cast to non-negative integers, without clashing.

if you read my (radical) proposal, the identification is based on a kernel
pointer and a 256-bit random integer. So non-negative integers are not
needed. (file-IO system-calls would be modified to detect if 'Unix file
descriptors' or pointers to 'native file descriptors' are passed to them,
so this is truly radical.)