SubjectRe: Is sendfile all that sexy?
Date
Followup to:  <3A622C25.766F3BCE@pobox.com>
By author: J Sloan <jjs@pobox.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Of course, you may be right on wuftpd. It obviously wasn't designed with
> > security in mind, other alternatives may be better.
>
> I run proftpd on all my ftp servers - it's fast, configurable
> and can do all the tricks I need - even red hat seems to
> agree that proftpd is the way to go.
>
> Visit any red hat ftp site and they are running proftpd -
>
> So, why do they keep shipping us wu-ftpd instead?
>
> That really frosts me.

proftpd is not what you want for an FTP server whose main function is
*non-*anonymous access. It is very much written for the sole purpose
of being a great FTP server for a large anonymous FTP site. If you're
running a site large enough to matter, you can replace an RPM or two.

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt