Subject*Very* weird behavior from 2.2.14
Date
My machine is/has:
> Linux 2.2.14
> Red Hat 6.2
> Two PII 400 Mhz processors, but the kernel doesn't currently have SMP
support compiled in
> 256 MB RAM
> Two ethernet cards using PCI NE2000 (ne2k-pci.c), vpre-1.00e 5/27/99
> One SCSI hard drive (boot, using aic7xxx.o), and four IDE drives.
> Uptime of 93 days
> eth0 is network connection using DHCP (dhcpcd)
> eth1 is 100 MBPS LAN as address 192.168.1.1

Weird behavior is as follows:
1) When I ping other machines on the LAN from the linux machine, I get
unpredictable behavior.
Sometimes ping shows nothing, yet watching tcpdump and the hub between the
machines, it is
clear that the ICMPs are being sent and responded to accordingly in under 10
ms, but ping displays
nothing except for, at random intervals, a single response with a normal or
abnormally high time.
2) When I ping the machine's own IP (192.168.1.1), there is no network
activity as normal, but the
results reported are random. Sometimes there will be 100% packet loss, but
sometimes it will work
fine with intermitted periods of high ping times (going from 0.0 ms to 9000
ms). Strangely enough,
even when the machine can't ping itself, from other computers on the LAN, it
will respond fine.
3) I run samba to serve files to a windows machine on my LAN (192.168.1.70),
and file transfer
between them has suddenly become very slow. It was not like this before. I
watch tcpdump from
the linux machine and see the netbios packets happening at a slow rate,
sometimes stalling. When I
am streaming something like an mp3, the interrupts can last for 5 to 10
seconds and cause the mp3
to stop playing. This has never been this way before. It can even sometimes
cut out completely. This
is the first strange behavior I noticed after coming back from a week
vacation, while the machine was left
on.
4) This may or may not be related, but when I look up man-pages from tty1 as
any user, certain text,
such as variables names of C functions, do not show up on the screen. This
only happens on tty1.
They are perfectly fine on other terminals. I've tried "reset" to no
success.

Notes:
1) Attached are several pieces of log/program output to assist in debugging.
2)
The follow messages may or not be related. These types of messages have been
appearing in the
kernel ring buffer (dmesg) for some time but I have never paid attention to
it (nor do I know what it means):
eth0: bogus packet: status=0x80 nxpg=0x57 size=1438
eth0: bogus packet: status=0x80 nxpg=0x58 size=1518

3) It has occured to me this may be due to outside attackers, but I have
found no evidence to
suggest this.

Regards and thanks,
Para-dox (paradox3@maine.rr.com)

[unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.307 / U:0.404 seconds]