    SubjectRe: Subtle MM bug
    On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 09:11:43PM +0000, Russell King wrote:

    > Eric W. Biederman writes:
    > > Hmm. I would think that increasing the logical page size in the kernel
    > > would be the trivial way to handle virtual aliases. (i.e.) with a large
    > > enough page size you can't actually have a virtual alias.
    > There are types of caches out there that no matter how large the page size,
    > you will always have alias issues. These are ones where the cache lines
    > are indexed independent of virtual address (and therefore can have funny
    > cache line replacement algorithms).
    > And yes, you guessed which processor has it. ;)

    I recently spoke with some CPU architecture researcher at some university
    about cache architectures; I suspect in the near future we'll see more
    funny cache indexing and replacment algorithems ...

    "Embrace, Enhance, Eliminate" - it worked for the pope, it'll work for Bill.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.020 / U:3.592 seconds]