    SubjectRe: IDE DMA problems on 2.4.0 with vt82c686a driver
    Hi!

    I'm the current maintainer of the VIA driver. I'm pretty sure the
    version in 2.4.0 programs the chips correctly for harddrives at various
    speeds, even leaving some margins where it shouldn't need to.

    I think there is not any problem with Western Digital drives, I've got
    many reports of them working OK with different chipsets, including those
    made by VIA.

    However, I'm getting many many problem reports on Abit KT7's. It might
    be that this is a very popular board, but nevertheless, I think at least
    its earlier revisions had trouble with UDMA transfers.

    At least on one of these boards a drive did work correctly, without CRC
    errors on the secondary interface, and gave constant errors on the
    primary. All other known problem causes were eliminated.

    I think it's Abit this time who's to blame.

    -----

    Anyway, you can try disabling VIA support in kernel, and if BIOS sets up
    things correctly, you should be able to use UDMA as well. If it works
    then, it would mean that my driver is a problem. I'd like to hear in
    either case.

    Vojtech

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs