    SubjectRe: QUESTION: Network hangs with BP6 and 2.4.x kernels, hardware

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Frank de Lange wrote:

    > On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 04:36:33PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > It may well not be disable_irq() that is buggy. In fact, there's good
    > > reason to believe that it's a hardware problem.
    > I am inclined to believe it IS a hardware problem... If disable_irq were buggy,
    > wouldn't the problem occur more frequently in other irq-heavy areas? A quick
    > count shows that disable_irq* is used in 84 sourcefiles in the driver/*
    > directory. This includes drivers which generate many interrupts in a short
    > timeframe (like ide).

    IDE is not my favourite example of a "known stable driver". Also, in many
    cases IDE is for historical reasons connected to an EDGE io-apic pin (ie
    it's still considered an ISA interrupt). Which probably wouldn't show this
    problem anyway.

    Also, IDE doesn't generate all that many interrupts. You can make a
    network driver do a _lot_ more interrupts than just about any disk driver
    by simply sending/receiving a lot of packets. With disks it is very hard
    to get the same kind of irq load - Linux will merge the requests and do at
    least 1kB worth of transfer per interrupt etc. On a ne2k 100Mbps PCI card,
    you can probably _easily_ generate a much higher stream of interrupts.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.022 / U:2.004 seconds]