On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:48:23PM -0600, Jordan wrote:
> 1st, the Sony Vaio Z505HS appears to be an example of a machine which
> will not boot a bzImage correctly, compaining about the compression
> format.

I can say from experience that this is not the case. In fact, the kernel
binaries (RPM) I provide on my Z505 page (http://www.foogod.com/z505_linux) are
bzImages (currently those are still test5, though I have used later ones on my
own machine as well, and will probably be upgrading the page to 2.4.0 final
eventually). I will admit that I haven't tried booting them from a floppy..
perhaps this is where the problem lies.

The Z505HS does have a USB floppy drive, which is the only thing I can think
of that's different from most other machines which might affect this, but I do
know that that doesn't stop a 2.2 kernel from booting off of it (though there
are problems accessing the floppy after the initial boot without USB drivers,
of course)

I will look into building a 2.4.0 floppy-bootable kernel on my Z505 and see if
I can reproduce the problems you're having.

-alex