    On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:48:23PM -0600, Jordan wrote:
    > 1st, the Sony Vaio Z505HS appears to be an example of a machine which
    > will not boot a bzImage correctly, compaining about the compression
    > format.

    I can say from experience that this is not the case. In fact, the kernel
    binaries (RPM) I provide on my Z505 page ( are
    bzImages (currently those are still test5, though I have used later ones on my
    own machine as well, and will probably be upgrading the page to 2.4.0 final
    eventually). I will admit that I haven't tried booting them from a floppy..
    perhaps this is where the problem lies.

    The Z505HS does have a USB floppy drive, which is the only thing I can think
    of that's different from most other machines which might affect this, but I do
    know that that doesn't stop a 2.2 kernel from booting off of it (though there
    are problems accessing the floppy after the initial boot without USB drivers,
    of course)

    I will look into building a 2.4.0 floppy-bootable kernel on my Z505 and see if
    I can reproduce the problems you're having.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.021 / U:0.832 seconds]