SubjectRe: QUESTION: Network hangs with BP6 and 2.4.x kernels, hardwarerelated?
> WITH. patched 8390.c, patched apic.c, sock io_apic.c. My very strong
> feeling is that this will be a stable combination, and that this is what
> we want as a final solution.

If you do that please #ifdef SMP all the changes. Its impossible to use a modem
and an ne2K together on a typical PC otherwise. The copy from the NE2K with
irq disabled is just _SO_ slow you drop bytes continually.

I did all the horrible magic in the ne2k driver for a reason. The other
alternative is to provide a way to force the system back out of apic mode
so the ne2K driver can do a

type call