    SubjectRe: Linux booting from HD on Promise Ultra ATA 100
    On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Stephen Torri wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Martin Josefsson wrote:
    >
    > > My setup looks like this, I boot from hde
    > > I configured my BIOS to boot from SCSI (I have no scsi-adapter but the
    > > promise card reports itself as one at boottime)
    > >
    > > boot = /dev/hde3
    > > delay = 50
    > > message = /boot/message
    > > vga = extended
    > > read-only
    > > lba32
    > > disk=/dev/hde
    > > bios=0x80
    >

    > The line "lba32" is for what? I have to ask this because I have never seen
    > it in an example of a lilo.conf file before.

    it is a BIOS extension that allows you to boot of a partition thats
    located above cylinder 1024. I think it's called EDB or something like
    that.

    > Also you put "disk=/dev/hde and bios=0x80" to inform lilo that there was a
    > disk there and its bios address is 0x80. Is this right?

    yes.

    > If I would follow your example then I would put:
    >
    > lba32
    > disk=/dev/hdf
    > bios=0x82

    I think that would be correct yes, and install LILO on hde (I think the
    promise-card only tries to boot from primary master when you have selected
    SCSI in BIOS. But I'm not sure.

    /Martin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.025 / U:94.724 seconds]