   Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:41:30 +0100 (CET)
From: Ingo Molnar <>

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

> I'm actually considering making the SG w/o hwcsum situation illegal.
i believe it might still make some limited sense for normal sendmsg()
and higher MTUs (or 8k NFS) - we could copy & checksum stuff into the
->tcp_page if SG is possible and thus the SG capability improves the VM.
(because we can allocate at PAGE_SIZE granularity.)

Basically what your advocating for is to take advantage of SG-only
devices when we have full control of the page contents.

Sure this would work.

But honestly the real gain from SG-only devices would be (as you know)
the memory usage savings when sending a single static file object to
several thousand clients.

David S. Miller