       Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:41:30 +0100 (CET)
    From: Ingo Molnar <>

    On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

    > I'm actually considering making the SG w/o hwcsum situation illegal.

    i believe it might still make some limited sense for normal sendmsg()
    and higher MTUs (or 8k NFS) - we could copy & checksum stuff into the
    ->tcp_page if SG is possible and thus the SG capability improves the VM.
    (because we can allocate at PAGE_SIZE granularity.)

    Basically what your advocating for is to take advantage of SG-only
    devices when we have full control of the page contents.

    Sure this would work.

    But honestly the real gain from SG-only devices would be (as you know)
    the memory usage savings when sending a single static file object to
    several thousand clients.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.020 / U:33.136 seconds]