SubjectRe: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:05:01AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > Simple. Because I stated before that I DON'T even want the networking
> > to use kiobufs in lower layers. My whole argument is to pass a kiovec
> > into the fileop instead of a page, because it makes sense for other
> > drivers to use multiple pages, and doesn't hurt networking besides
> > the cost of one kiobuf (116k) and the processor cycles for creating
> > and destroying it once per sys_sendfile.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> My whole argument against that is that I think kiovec's are incredibly
> ugly, and the less I see of them in critical regions, the happier I am.
>
> And that, I have to admit, is really mostly a matter of "taste".

Ok.

This is a statement that makes all the kiobuf efforts currently look
no more as interesting as before.

IHMO is time to find a generic interface for IO that is acceptable by
you and widely usable.

As you stated before that seems to be s.th. with page,offset,length
tuples.

Christoph

--
Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX.