SubjectRe: Subtle MM bug

On 10 Jan 2001, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> writes:
> >
> > Once I or other developer finishes with the reverse lookup from page to
> > pte-chain (an implementation from DaveM just exists) we'll be able to put them
> > in a separate lru, but it's certainly not a 2.4.1-pre2 thing.
>
> Why do we even want to do reverse page tables?

We don't.

But it does come up every once in a while, and it will probably continue
to do so.

I looked at it a year or two ago myself, and came to the conclusion that I
don't want to blow up our page table size by a factor of three or more, so
I'm not personally interested any more. Maybe somebody else comes up with
a better way to do it, or with a really compelling reason to.

"Feel free to try" is definitely the open source motto.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.110 / U:56.448 seconds]