SubjectRe: Scalability Efforts
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Henry Worth wrote:

> With all the talk of improving Linux's scalability to
> large-scale SMP and ccNUMA platforms -- including efforts
> at several HW companies and now OSDL forming to throw
> hardware at the effort -- is there any move afoot to
> coordinate these efforts?

Nothing coordinated, AFAIK...

> Or is it all, whatever there may be of it, taking
> place offline?

Most of the times I've talked about this topic it
was in person with other developers at various
conferences.

For the VM subsystem and the scheduler we have some
ideas to improve scalability for NUMA machines. It's
not been implemented yet, but for most of it the
design seems to be pretty ok and ready to be implemented
for 2.5.

OTOH, some of the develish details still aren't resolved.
If there are people interested in discussing this topic,
I'll setup a mailing list for it ...

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/