SubjectRe: 3ware controllers and fatal failure mode design decision
On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 02:27:02PM -0700, brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:
> I was wondering if any one knows of a way around the following problem,
> and I wanted to warn people considering 3ware controllers as a storage
> solution.
>
> I talked to 3ware already and they don't have a solution.
>
> The latest 3ware firmware for their current products requires that
> all drives in an array be absolutely identical.
>
> Say you setup an 8 drive RAID 10 array and a year later a drive
> blows out. You *MUST* replace it with an absolutely identical
> drive. It must ID completely identifical!
>
> Whoa! What if the drive isn't made anymore?
>
> Seems like a nightmare scenario to me.

Adam from 3ware contacted me and disputes the claims of the 3ware
technical support department.

He says that you can replace a failed drive with any drive, not
just one identical to the rest of the array. This is helpful,
if true.

However, he did not address that rationale for considering
a Maxtor 53073H6 so different from a Maxtor 53073U6 so as to
refuse to use them to build an array.

He did claim that a change is in the works, that I assume may
address my concerns.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>

Copyright (c) 2000 By Brian Litzinger