    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb
    On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
    > Finally, who says that acceptance by 'IT managers and CTOs' is actually a
    > measure of 'quality' that anyone here finds interesting or acceptable? The
    > very fact that many 'IT managers and CTOs' find NT acceptable speaks
    > volumes to counter the credibility of that as a useful product metric.

    If you'd read what I wrote in it's entirety, you'd know that I'm very well
    aware of this perspective. I don't need to have the volumes of idiocy
    which come out of some management pointed out to me. At the same time my
    entire point was that I think there's some valid business concerns that
    they have /after/ removing all the crap, and that I wouldn't be surprised
    if the market went against linux and in favor of other operating systems
    that addressed them.

    And if you think I don't understand what Linux wrote you are very wrong.
    Perhaps to put a better spin on things what I should state is that I
    understand what Linus is trying to do, and I'm merely pointing out that
    he's really not filling the gap of supplying an IT-friendly open source
    OS. He's providing an OS for developers. Cool. Fine. No worries. But
    that does leave a void, in my opinion. Perhaps disributions adding
    patches to the kernel will fill this void, but I tend to think it wont
    scale in the end. We'll either see forking, see another OS like FreeBSD
    fill the void, or (worst case) Solaris.

    I don't know why this viewpoint creates such hostile responses from some
    people. I'm pointing out that Linux is not everything for everyone.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.656 seconds]