SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Mike Galbraith writes:
> > > Surely there must be some useful features that can be included in the
> > > kernel without uglyfing it or slowing it down (configed out)? Leaving
> > > aside the social engineering attempts, of course :-)
> >
> > They can all be configured out, and they are all useful. KDB is the
> > only one which (imho) could be integrated without uglifying the
> > code.
>
> Fine. Then let's add that, at least. It's probably the #1 thing
> anyway.

I think that this would be a good idea for one reason. It lets folks
of lesser skill (open developent.. army of testers) capture quality
data for our tiny group of core developers. If you have any code
reading skill at all, on oops for example, you _can_ take a peek and
report values instead of only 'it croaked!'. You can fight your way
closer to problem causes and try to save some valuable guru time.

-Mike

> > (What means 'social engineering attempts'?)
>
> Attempting to change people's habits by making it hard to debug.

Ah. I find it _damned_ hard to debug the kernel with or without a
kernel debugger ;-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.260 / U:0.156 seconds]