    SubjectRe: Availability of kdb

    On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > What would a debugger have done?
    >
    > Let the end user give me essential answers on what was happening at the failure
    > point. Think of it as a crash dump tool with extra controls

    Sure. I just don't see many end-users single-stepping through interrupt
    handlers etc.

    But yes, there probably are a few.

    But problems that tend to be hard to debug are things that don't happen
    all the time. Or require special timing to happen. And I don't think
    you'll find that those are very easy to attach to with a debugger either.
    So the guy at the debugger end has to be really good.

    Basically, I'd hate to depend on that.

    > When was the last time you wrote a device driver for some warped piece of PCI
    > technology that didn't work like the book says and for which you can neither
    > get more info or pop over to the next cubicle and ask the hardware designer ?

    That would be the CardBus controller. Yeah, still fighting that one, but
    we solved another bug today. Richard Gooch would have been able to use a
    debugger for that one, but I don't know what he could have done with one
    in that case.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:0.048 / U:1.580 seconds]