SubjectRe: Availability of kdb

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > What would a debugger have done?
>
> Let the end user give me essential answers on what was happening at the failure
> point. Think of it as a crash dump tool with extra controls

Sure. I just don't see many end-users single-stepping through interrupt
handlers etc.

But yes, there probably are a few.

But problems that tend to be hard to debug are things that don't happen
all the time. Or require special timing to happen. And I don't think
you'll find that those are very easy to attach to with a debugger either.
So the guy at the debugger end has to be really good.

Basically, I'd hate to depend on that.

> When was the last time you wrote a device driver for some warped piece of PCI
> technology that didn't work like the book says and for which you can neither
> get more info or pop over to the next cubicle and ask the hardware designer ?

That would be the CardBus controller. Yeah, still fighting that one, but
we solved another bug today. Richard Gooch would have been able to use a
debugger for that one, but I don't know what he could have done with one
in that case.

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans