On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> We could use some more infrastructure here.
>
> (1) A 'make randomconfig' tool that generates a random configuration.

There already are people that do this.

The problem is that developers are lazy. All good programmers are lazy.
They want to fix the problem - they don't want to wait for a day or two
until all combinations have been tested. They want a "grep"-like thing.

Not that it matters much. In the end, non-compiling kernel versions are
quite acceptable as they fix bugs and they'll get fixed themselves
eventually. So this is not probably that big of an issue in real life.
Just a beauty wart.

> (2) Make the architecture a configuration variable (!)

Why?

You still need to have all the damn cross-compilers etc. At which point
being a configuration variable is the _least_ of your worries. You're
better off with just a new tree.

> (3) A collection of RPM's so that people can download and install
> all the cross tools easily.

Hey, maybe you have a few 18GB disks lying around, but none of the
machines I use every day could afford to have another 5-6 cross-
compilation environments lying around. It's just not practical.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.148 / U:3.552 seconds]