SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > I think the disconnect for you here is that you assume the Linux world
> > will remain constant [...]
>
> > [...] Just because Linux puts everything in user space does not mean
> > that's how the whole world should be. There's a lot of kernel
> > development I'm sure folks want to do with Linux they cannot because
> > it too tough to debug. SMP problems I've run into on Linux with just
> > take too long without these types of tools. [...]
>
> like a webserver?

In NetWare, the webserver does run in-kernel. It's got the highest
numbers for any web server on the planet on Intel. Visit
www.novell.com. I don't plan to put the MANOS webserver in-kernel, BTW,
but I mention this in anwswer to your question. Microsoft's web server
appears to run in user space, but in fact, does not, BTW -- they have
half of it down in-kernel as well for performance.

Jeff

Jeff

> Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.173 / U:2.928 seconds]