SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > > I think the disconnect for you here is that you assume the Linux world
> > > will remain constant [...]
> >
> > > [...] Just because Linux puts everything in user space does not mean
> > > that's how the whole world should be. There's a lot of kernel
> > > development I'm sure folks want to do with Linux they cannot because
> > > it too tough to debug. SMP problems I've run into on Linux with just
> > > take too long without these types of tools. [...]
> >
> > like a webserver?
>
> In NetWare, the webserver does run in-kernel. It's got the highest
> numbers for any web server on the planet on Intel. [...]

while this probably it isnt exactly modest, i'd like to direct your
attention to the following SPEC benchmarks:

http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2000q2/

I cannot see any NetWare (or UnixWare) numbers there. Check out the 'TUX'
webserver at:

http://www.redhat.com/~mingo/TUX-patches/

which is an in-kernel webserver. So above you say TUX cannot exist because
it's too tough to debug and because "The entire Linux Network subsystem
needs an overhaul"? Why dont you actually let people decide wether they
want to apply the KDB patch for kernel development?

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.167 / U:1.272 seconds]