    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

    On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > My point was basically that omitting useful debugging tools makes it
    > not any less likely that people use the (A) strategy (easy fix instead
    > of real understanding). For some people it is so painfull to work with
    > raw dumps that they want to get out of that pain as quickly as
    > possible, like with just adding an if (!ptr) return; and be done with
    > it.

    well, they will sooner or later notice that it's easier to fix bugs by
    following the development of the kernel and understanding the underlying
    principles and the code. As elitist as it might seem, we rather need 10
    highly skilled developers who understand the kernel than 100 moderately
    skilled ones who know how to operate a kernel debugger and barely anything
    else. [this is not an insult towards people with less experience - having
    less experience is just a temporary stage of a process, nothing else. But
    if it becomes the end station thats a problem IMHO.]

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.020 / U:1.544 seconds]