SubjectRe: zero-copy TCP

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> The origin of this comment was related to a comparison of the
> MSM/TSM/CSM layer in NetWare and Linux. I've already said that Alan's
> code handles fast paths well and from what I've seen is comparable to
> NetWare. [...]

can we thus take this as a retraction of your below quoted three
derogatory comments?

" The entire Linux Network subsystem needs an overhaul. "

" In networking, the enemy is LATENCY for fast performance. That's why
NetWare can handle 5000 users and Linux barfs on 100 in similiar tests.
Copying increases latency, and the long code paths in the Linux Network
layer. "

" Alan, Please. I'm in your code and there are copies all over the
place. I agree you have a "fast path" for most stuff, but there's all
kinds of handles lookups, linear list searching like

while (x)
{
x = x->next
}

all over the place that increases latency. "

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.102 / U:0.356 seconds]