    Richard Gooch wrote:
    > It will probably take about 5 years after a new version of GCC which
    > has this fix before we can trust it to produce correct code for the
    > kernel.

    I don't think it's that bad, Richard. As davem points out, the dead
    code elimination works OK. Chris has a counter-example but I was not
    able to reproduce that with

    The only problem I'm aware of is this tendency to leave dangling strings
    in .rodata. Unfortunately you can't work around this with the linker
    and -fdata-sections either. See

    But still, doing the conditional compilation at compile-time rather than
    preprocessing-time is so *nice* that if you don't have too many literal
    strings floating about it may be justifiable.

    In cs89x0.c you reduce the object size by 1.5k by setting DEBUGGING to
    literal zero - no #ifdefs in sight.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.025 / U:2.064 seconds]