SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux
Date

hps@tanstaafl.de said:
> I'm sure that once the FSF is willing to step up, there will be lots
> of supporters and sponsors to finance this.

Far smaller companies have _already_ got away with not only violating the
Linux kernel's GPL, but blatantly encouraging their customers to do so.

Why should we believe that anyone's actually going to pursue one as large
as Microsoft?

See http://www.m-sys.com/files/drivers/doc/DOC_linux_2_2_x.zip for a
binary-only driver which comes with instructions on how to link it into
your kernel - encouraging you to break the GPL.

Note that it doesn't come as a loadable module (although it's possible to
hack it a bit to do that). The instructions only tell you how to link it
into your kernel - hence violating the GPL if you distribute your product.

I believe that IGEL's products are shipping with the DiskOnChip driver in
this form. Has anyone sued them yet?

--
dwmw2