SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I was under the understanding a "patch" to something GPL, means
> the "patch" is also GPL. If the patch was not GPL, and it
> patches GPL code, then it itself is in violation of the GPL.
> The fact that the patch is a "derivative work" of the original
> GPL code, means it is GPL wether stated or not.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Of course, this is /only/ the case for pieces of code
which depend on the context of GPL code. Pieces of the
code which can be used independantly (say, a separate
.c file or a large function) can be dual licensed by
the author...

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/