    SubjectRe: Linux boots on Wildfire^WGS320!
    On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > The allocator also mandatory needs part of classzone to be able
    > to make decent decisions. (putting the memory of different NUMA
    > nodes internally to a pgdat_t as different zones as it's been
    > proposed in linux-mm is a broken hack that can't work right)

    Ummmmm. Last I saw the idea was to simply have the fallback
    zonelist for allocations extend into other pgdats ... ;)

    > Infact saying that classzone have problems with NUMA looks silly
    > to me as it's the other way around as far I can see.

    Both the current code and classzone will need some adjustments
    to work fine (as in: reasonably efficient) with NUMA.

    If the classzone idea can be extended to NUMA with more
    readable (== maintainable) code than the standard zoned
    allocator, I'm all for having it integrated...

    (I'm not sure if classzone will have many benefits in
    "normal" setups, but with NUMA I can see the idea giving
    a lot more performance benefits)

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/