Subjectquestion about the mount mechanism
While doing a little exploration in the kernel I found something that I
thought curious. I would like an explanation of why, at mount time,
the kernel is not more verbose to a person from mounting a 'non-clean'
files system.

Specifically, in /linux/fs/ext2/super.c, line 285 (really this whole
section of code)

Lets make the assumption that fsck fails for some reason. You're working
remotely on the system and thusly have no way to see the console (short of
going out of your way to look at the logs after every mount). Lastly, the
partition you want to mount was not unmounted cleanly.

How do you know you won't damage the partition?

What would be the harm in asking for confirmation that, yes, I really do
want to mount this potentially damaged partition? Would it make sense to
pass a message out to mount and allow it to ask for confirmation?

Thanks for any information,
Matt Berglund

Starting Java ... Killing Netscape.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.029 / U:0.328 seconds]